Indian food ministry has to take some harsh steps as we are getting to see some ridiculous cases of people finding weird items in their food. In the last few months, we covered multiple articles revealing how popular brands are getting criticised for not maintaining food standards.
Sandeep Saxena, a Delhi based guy had allegedly eaten an insect in his McAloo Tikki burger five years ago. He is getting a compensation of Rs 70,000 from the food chain company after The Delhi State Consumer Disputes Redressal Commission upheld the order of a district forum and ordered the payment.
After Sandeep lodged a complaint, the State Commission tried investigating the incident. An appeal was filed by McDonald’s in April. The appeal was filed after the expiry of the limitation period. The limitation period ended on March 1.
Sandeep visited the GIP Mall in Noida and had ordered a McAloo Tikki Burger along with other food items. When he took his first bite, he realised that his burger had an insect in it and he started vomiting. Checking the burger, he allegedly saw an insect which resembled “an ant, a mosquito or a cockroach”.
When his problem was not addressed by the restaurant, he went to the police and the district magistrate’s office. He even informed the food inspector and went to the mall and took the burger for testing.
The Food Safety and Medicine Administration agreed that the burger was “unsafe” and confirmed that there was a bug inside. The authorities ordered McDonald’s to pay Rs 895 for his treatment, Rs 50,000 for the mental agony caused and Rs 20,000 as the cost of litigation. If McD does not do so, the company will have to pay Sandeep a 9% interest per day on the fine.