As per Google, the company has over 98,771 employees around the globe. While the number speaks for itself, it becomes extremely necessary for a global company like Google to not just hire but also live upto its reputation of being the best in the business and having the finest of talent which is exactly why employees at Google are regularly surveyed about their managers with 13 specific questions.
Interestingly, the polar questions fall into three general categories: nurturing growth in others, operating excellence, and emotional intelligence, all intended to discern the strength of a manager.
Here are the 13 questions:
1. I would recommend my manager to others
2. My manager assigns stretch opportunities to help me develop my career
3. My manager communicated clear goals
4. My manager regularly gives me actionable feedback
5. My manager provides the autonomy I need to do my job (doesn’t micromanage)
6. My manager consistently shows consideration for me as a person
7. My manager keeps the team focused on priorities even when it’s difficult (e.g. declining or deprioritizing other projects)
8. My manager makes tough decisions effectively
9. My manager shares relevant information from his/her boss(es)
10. My manager has had a meaningful discussion with me about my career development in the past six months
11. My manager has the expertise required to effectively manage me
12. The actions of my manager show he/she values my perspective (even if different from his/hers)
13. My manager effectively collaborates across boundaries