For those born in the 90s, the 70s seems only 30 years ago. That has become a very common meme on social media nowadays. However funny it may be, as someone born in the 90s, it is the hard truth.
And to make things even more complicated, we have now given labels to different people born in certain time periods.
The phrase that got used. a lot recently was ‘Ok Boomer’. The younger generation was seen making Tiktoks and Reels where they called their parents or teachers boomers. While the videos were fun to watch, they made us more curious about what are the different generation terms.
Who should be called a boomer or who is a Gen Z and Gen X? What about a Millennial? Did you know there is a ‘Gen A’ too now? For someone as confused as me, we have tried to simplified these terms by giving you the time stamp for each generation.
- Baby Boomers are the people born between the years 1944 and 1964. They’re currently between 58-78 years old and are the oldest of the current generation terms.
- Gen X were born between 1965 and 1979 and are aged between the ages of 43 and 57.
- Gen Y, more commonly known as Millennials, were born between roughly 1980 and 1994. They are between the ages of 28 and 42.
- Gen Z, who were born between 1995 and 2015 and are nearly 27 years old.
- Generation Alpha, Gen A, are the children born in 2012 and after and will continue at least through 2025 or maybe later.
World War II ended in 1945 and Americans enjoyed newfound prosperity. This resulted in a “baby boom” and the children born as a result were called the Baby Boomers.
The term Gen X came to be as people were not sure what cultural traits this generation will have and gave it the X factor.
The term “Millennial” is widely credited to Neil Howe, along with William Strauss, both famous American authors. The pair coined the term in 1989 when the impending turn of the millennium began to feature heavily in the cultural consciousness.